This is THE BEST chocolate cake ever. It’s called a Coca Cola Cake. It’s a secret recipe that’s been in my family for years, and now I’m sharing it with you!!!
Nana always made Coca Cola Cake at Christmas and other holidays. It is grandma cake GOALS. It takes about 45 minutes to make, so from that aspect, it’s easy, as far as homemade cakes go.
Ideally, you need a double-boiler to make this cake. If you don’t have a double-boiler, you can get a pot that stacks on top of another pot, as long as there is room for boiling water in the pot on the bottom. So when the recipe says to melt something in the double-boiler, that means melt the ingredients in the top pot using the heat from boiling hot water in the lower pot.
We’re going to make the cake and then we’re going to make the icing! How fun, you’ll learn to make homemade from scratch chocolate icing. You can use the icing recipe for any cake you make in the future.
Coca Cola Cake:
2 sticks butter
1 cup Coca Cola
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup mini marshmallows (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1. In a double boiler, melt butter, Coca Cola, and chocolate squares. Remove from heat.
2. Add buttermilk, marshmallows, and eggs.
3. Then add vanilla, salt, and baking soda.
4. Stir in flour and sugar.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees in an ungreased 9×12 or 9×13 glass casserole dish for 20-25 minutes.
Homemade Chocolate Icing:
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 stick butter
3 tbsp cocoa
6 tbsp Coca Cola
1 box powered sugar (or confectioner’s sugar) (1 pound box)
1 tsp vanilla
1. In the same double-boiler and while the cake is baking, melt butter, cocoa, and Coca Cola.
2. Remove from heat and add powered sugar, vanilla, and pecans.
3. Pour mixture over cake while cake and icing are still hot.
The whole process took me about 45 minutes total. Let me know how you like it!
Subscribe to my blog to receive updates and inspo straight to your inbox.