Coca Cola Cake History
Nana’s recipe Coca Cola Cake–THE BEST chocolate cake ever, literally ever. This is a secret recipe that’s been in my family for years, and now I’m sharing it with you!!! Southern ladies may know about Coca Cola cake, but if you don’t, I’m here to tell you about it–it is amazing.
My Nana always made Coca Cola Cake at Christmas and other holidays. It is chocolate cake GOALS. It does not taste like Coke. It tastes like a delicious homemade milk chocolate cake with sugary, drizzling homemade icing. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to make. The Coca Cola is the secret ingredient for extra flavor.
Ideally, you need a double-boiler to make this cake. If you don’t have a double-boiler, you can get a pot that stacks on top of another pot, as long as there is room for boiling water in the pot on the bottom. So when the recipe says to melt something in the double-boiler, that means melt the ingredients in the top pot using the heat from boiling hot water in the lower pot.
We’re going to make the cake and then we’re going to make the icing! You’ll learn to make homemade from scratch chocolate icing. Be sure to read the whole recipe before shopping for ingredients! The icing ingredients are separate.
Coca Cola Cake:
(Icing recipe below – you will make icing when cake has 10 min left to cook)
2 sticks butter
1 cup Coca Cola (or mini can)
4 squares from an unsweetened chocolate bar (I use Baker’s brand <click here)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup mini marshmallows (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
2 cups granulated white sugar
1. In a double boiler, melt butter, Coca Cola, and chocolate squares. Remove from heat.
2. Add buttermilk, marshmallows, and eggs.
3. Then add vanilla, salt, and baking soda.
4. Stir in flour and sugar.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees in an ungreased 9×12 or 9×13 glass casserole dish for 30-45 minutes.
Homemade Chocolate Icing:
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 stick butter
3 tbsp cocoa powder (I like Hershey’s for this)
6 tbsp Coca Cola
1 box powered sugar (or confectioner’s sugar) (1 pound box)
1 tsp vanilla
1. In the same double-boiler and while the cake is baking (with 10 min left on timer), melt butter, cocoa, and Coca Cola.
2. Remove from heat and add powered sugar, vanilla, and pecans.
3. Pour mixture over cake while cake and icing are still hot.
The whole process took me about 45 minutes total. Let me know how you like it!
Subscribe to my blog to receive updates and inspo straight to your inbox.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.